Last week, Stacy Julian (Altogether Too Happy on my blog list) wrote about her childhood popcorn memories. Ever since, I haven't been able to get the taste of REAL popcorn out of my mind. We've eaten microwaved popcorn for years! So today, I threw the kids in the car, headed to Target, and bought a Stir Crazy popper. The Stir Crazy popper is the closest I could come to my childhood popper. But my childhood popper didn't come with a stirring arm, it came with a pitch man, and his name was Joe Namath. Who remembers Joe Namath? He was the quarterback for the New York Jets (I believe) but what I most remember is that he wore pantyhose, a fur coat, and had really nice hair. Now, my dad had a story about our popper. Keep in mind I was young, but I went along with it for years. Dad said a miniature Joe lived inside the popper, and when we plugged it in, his room got hot, so he'd take out a little hammer and pound on the ceiling. That's what made the kernels pop! Well, flash forward to my kitchen this afternoon. The stirring arm is spinning, and I've talked up the taste of this popcorn all day long. The kids loved watching it pop, (look closely at the photo, you can see them!) and laughed almost the whole time it was popping. EVERY kernel popped, and it tasted pretty good! But then came the kids' flavor verdict. Calvin says, "It's OK", and Mason says "Needs a lot more butter. I like the microwave Movie Theater Butter!" We'll keep working on the oil-corn-butter ratio...but at least the new popper gave me a nice trip down memory lane!
5 days ago


Kim - Joe Namath is also known for wanting to kiss a sideline reporter that was interviewing him. He was sort of tipsy. It can be seen here:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc65NC44dSk
Oh NO! Say it ain't so Joe! I wondered what he'd been up to lately! In searching YouTube, I found all sorts of endorsement commercials he'd done. I figured he was just living a nice quiet life, now. Too bad he had to pull that one in '03...and it lives on in YouTube. There's a lesson for you, kids!
ReplyDelete**Just online checking school closings for tomorrow, and YES, Duluth will be closed again. Both boys will be home with me!
You need more popcorn in that popper! Of course, we're all popcorn addicts and have ou stir crazy out several times a week AND have been known to pop the top off...so maybe you shouldn't listen to me.
ReplyDeleteI've enjoyed checking out your pictures and seeing what's up with the Koz family. Hi to all and take care!
Carmen
Thanks for saying Hello! Our latest purchase is Popcorn Salt! (We are so behind the times, I guess) That is good stuff! I even used it on the Cashew Chicken I made for dinner last night! Do you have any other popcorn tips?
ReplyDelete