Monday, January 12, 2009

You've got to keep up...

...or it gets overwhelming.  Like today.  I haven't done laundry in a week, and now I have so much, I've sorted it into SEVEN piles in the hallway outside the laundry room. Now, I suppose, if I did a load a day I could keep up. But who does that? Do you coordinate with your family, "OK. Everyone wear 'darks' today, so I can do a dark load tonight." It doesn't work that way, does it? Invariably, someone will want to wear a red shirt, and someone else will wear white. So, how often do you do laundry? Who has a system that works? I'm dying to know.

5 comments:

  1. I lost count of the number of loads of laundry I did yesterday...all I know is that I started at 8:45 AM and put the last load into the dryer at 10 PM. After one of those marathons (which is pretty much my laundry 'system'), I think about the 1 load per day method too, but somehow doing laundry every day seems worse than confining the drudgery to just 1 day of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought a new dryer yesterday after being without one for 4 weeks. I relied on the kindness and electricity of my neighbors but also Maryland Coin Laundry during the hiatus. In light of your "current" situation I would highly recommend the laundromat experience. Haul all of it to your local laundromat, get all seven loads done at once (I now covet the Maytag commercial dryer that can get a huge load done in 20 minutes for 50 cents), read a People magazine, read a book,whilst it is all washing and drying. Because you are not in your own home you actually feel like you can just sit and read without guilt. Bring it home, fold it, and PUT IT AWAY.

    Then figure out how you sort out your loads and then dedicate a laundry basket for each load. When a basket is full do that load. If one of your menfolk need something before it is washed they get to improvise their wardrobe or you find out that they really do need more socks. This system actually works at my house and I don't let myself log on to perezhilton.com unless one or the other machine is humming away.

    Today, because I was playing dryer catch up, I did seven loads. The next time I come home from the cabin or, God forbid, someone comes home with the head lice note I will return to Maryland Coin laundry and think of Acid Andy, and Homecoming 1987 and you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If someone would have told me this morning that Laura's laundry system was like mine, and that Maura's laundry system was actually A SYSTEM...I would have never believed it. I like the "do it when that particular basket is full" idea...I just need to make more room in the laundry room for all the baskets!
    As for the laundromat...mmmm...not really likin' that one so much.
    But I do like reading People magazine when I get my oil changed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and a follow-up. Acid Andy? Homecoming '87? I remember them both (vaguely) but is there a connection between them? And me? eeeeek!
    I'm not sure I want you to answer that question here...why don't you e-mail me. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow!!!! You are lucky, sister, that you only have seven loads after one week of not doing laundry. I have to do at least four loads every other day. You'll see...one day Calvin and Mason won't be wearing kid size clothes anymore. Washing our jeans is ridiculous! Four pairs and the machine is full! And all of those loads, by the way, are the clothing loads. Don't even get me started on the towels and sheets and (heaven help me) dog bed covers and comforters. Ack!

    ReplyDelete