Friday, January 23, 2009

A Blast from the Past

I made the boys sit down and watch TV this afternoon. The Electric Company is back on PBS! Who remembers this show from the 70's? 
I used to LOVE watching The Electric Company! I learned to read by watching it (along with Sesame Street, of course), plus I learned to tell time (indirectly) by watching The Electric Company. That's because anytime we had to go somewhere, my mom would tell me the distance by saying, for example, "It's one Sesame Street and one Electric Company." (That's an hour and a half.)
I remember putting words together by sound, "C----AT, CAT!"
One of my favorite characters on the show at the time is now a very famous actor. Check out this Electric Company flashback,which also features Rita Moreno, and see if you know who it is!
Today's Electric Company has been brought into the new century. It's filled with fast edits, plenty of rap and hip-hop music, and a (mostly) corny cast of characters. But the show is still full of all the classic elements that made The Electric Company so successful. Judging by the way my kids watched it, I think this remake might last a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment