Thursday, July 30, 2009

Carnivores

(click photos to enlarge)
There are four types of carnivorous plants found in Michigan. At least two of them are found on the bog near our cabin. I found the one in the photo above the last time I was here (but I took this photo today, for those of you who closely follow that kind of thing).  It looks kind of like a venus flytrap, doesn't it? It's actually called a Drosera Rotundifolia, and you can learn more about it here, thanks to research from my father-in-law!
The other carnivorous plant we have here is the pitcher plant. I love these when they're all filled with water. Sometimes you can see bugs floating inside! In the fall, the main body of the plant turns a beautiful shade of red (much like the veining in the top of the plant). You can learn more about the pitcher plant, the Drosera, and the two other kinds of Michigan carnivorous plants here. 
I'm hoping to do a little hunting to see if I can find those other two plants on the bog, too!
Thanks for checking in on the blog today!

1 comment:

  1. I think I saw some of these in Newfoundland http://tinyurl.com/n52rxs and this http://tinyurl.com/mfs8ko

    ReplyDelete