Nothing but the Coast Guard Cutter, The Alder, moves in or out of the Duluth Harbor from late December until the end of March. Well, it's the end of March, and today marks the start of the shipping season. The first Laker (a boat that stays within the Great Lakes) is set to depart the Duluth Harbor today.
After running errands "up the hill" all morning, I raced back down when I saw the Coast Guard Cutter in the water. It was breaking up a channel so the vessels could maneuver. By the time I got to the shore, the Alder had gone back into the Harbor, and there was no Laker in sight.
I never get tired of watching the big boats move through the water, and having the added bonus of moving through the ice makes it especially fun to see. I'll keep me eye on The Shipping News, and if I catch a Laker in the next couple of days, I'll be sure and post it.
The first Salties (ocean-going) are due by April 10th, so I'll try for one of those, too!


Kim,
ReplyDeleteYou're so DULUTH!! Who knew that you knew so much about the ways of the lakes? (everyone who knows you now, I guess). Very cool. Love that one day I can see your new sneeks and the next learn something about your part of the country.
I myself am spending the afternoon spending money I don't have. Get this, I've purchased three sets of actions to be used with photoshop - they boost color and apply cool black and white and stuff... but I don't own photoshop! That's an 800 dollar purchase I'm just having a hard time making - though I need to if I'm going to offer cards this fall, which I am. ugh! Your blog post was just what I needed to take my mind off the madness, if even for a moment. Thanks!
Do you have Photoshop Elements already? That's about 90 (though I read it was on sale somewhere last week for 46)...
ReplyDeleteIs there something specific you want to do on Photoshop that you can't do on Elements?
I think I'd have a hard enough time learning Elements...so I haven't purchased either of them yet. I'm also afraid I'd want to photoshop ALL of my pictures if I got it.
Have you checked out the Pioneerwoman actions (on her blog)?
Also, there's an action set (referenced on Tara Whitney's site yesterday) that does collage. I think it's free???
Hmmm...maybe I'm spending too much time reading blogs.
Thanks for posting! Wish you lived closer.
I want to offer Christmas Cards, Senior High School Announcements and Baby announcements through my site, I have a big school fundraiser coming up this fall and I'm hoping they'll be a big hit with the moms there. The templates to make these cards can only be used i photoshop... so I'm probably purchasing CS4 in the next few days... gulp! Anyway, they're cool and even though I won't use them for my weddings, they're great for portrait work. Never too much time spent reading blogs, apparently.
ReplyDeleteI had already read your blog, by the way...so I knew about your new offerings...(didn't post...sorry ;( )
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I don't know a whole lot about the lake...but you must know most of it makes the news here, because, well, because there's not a lot of OTHER news! So you can blame the media for my Lake Superior knowledge.