Saturday, August 15, 2009

Glensheen Mansion

I went to Glensheen Mansion for the first time this afternoon. This is one of those sites that, because I live here, I just assume I'll see "someday".  Today I was able to walk the grounds and gardens of the Mansion while visiting the Festival of Fine Art and Craft, an annual event that I've managed to miss for one reason or another every year.

Now that I've seen the grounds, I'm more motivated to make time to do the full mansion tour. This home has such an interesting history, including the murder of two people back in 1977 (though I hear that is not really discussed during the tour). You can read a bit about the murders here
Before we even moved to Duluth, I read this book about the murders, which was very interesting to me, as it's done from the perspective of a journalist covering the case. That journalist, Joe Kimball, wrote an "update" article last year about the case which you can find here.

If you do plan a trip to Duluth for the Mansion tour and you hope to see the gardens, I'd suggest doing it in July, as the gardens were really past their prime today.

No comments:

Post a Comment