Sunday, September 20, 2009

I Got The Call This Morning

My friend Julie (on the left, in blue) said she's ready to shave her head.
Now, that's not the kind of thing you normally hear from a grown woman, is it? Unless that grown woman happens to have cancer. My friend Julie is battling breast cancer for the second time this decade. I know, totally unfair! But since she's been through the chemo-thing before, she knew she was ready to stop literally "pulling her hair out". She called over a few friends, and we made an event out of it.
Julie can turn a negative into a positive with such ease...and though I'm sure she really didn't WANT to lose all of her hair today, she had fun with it. Let's just say she totally ROCKED the MOHAWK!
Alane did a great job with all the different "do's" (and one big "don't" involving a single curl on the top of Julie's head-which Sarah happily remedied), while I documented the event with about 300 photographs.
Julie OK'd the use of these photos for the blog today, but I don't feel right doing so without mentioning the Young Survival Coalition. Both Julie and Alane have been instrumental in getting the local chapter of the group up and running here in Duluth. This year, they had both planned on doing Hershey's Tour de Pink, a bike ride from Hershey, PA to Manhattan, the first weekend in October.
Unfortunately, the timing of the latest diagnosis thwarted Julie's plans to participate. If you'd like to learn more about the ride, click here, where you can read about Alane's journey to Hershey, and even make a donation if you'd like!

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous photos! Julie's such a strong survivor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have told the story well. My thoughts go out to Julie. Her positive attitude will help her enjoy each day and stands as a model for us all.

    ReplyDelete